Adversity has a sting, and then a heaviness that can weigh us down. The weight can be so strong that we can barely look up. Everyone in this life faces adversity from time to time. And, it’s all relative. What one walks through another could not fathom, and the reverse. It is wonderful that we are never given more than we can handle.
So, how do we embrace adversity when we are in the middle of the storm? Deep thoughts and encouraging verses can be a sweet salve, but do they get right in? Right into the depths of our souls that need the covering?
Edgar Allen Poe said, “never to suffer would never to have been blessed.” I believe that is a profound statement. The problem is believing it and acknowledging all the good while we are suffering in the mire and muck.
I don’t have the answer, I can only share what I have learned through various trials in my own life.
- It won’t always be this way, this too shall pass. Ask yourself if you are in the same place you were x number of years ago. When we crave different circumstances our view forward is not as clear as the road behind us. Nine times out of ten there will have been progress.
- It hasn’t always been this way, just look through some photos from better seasons. If you aren’t visual, listen to some music that evokes a memory of a joyful time. Even your sense of smell can bring up memories of blessed events- make your favorite childhood recipe.
- Most importantly, lean into the Lord, remember that He will never forsake us. Give thanks in ALL circumstances. This may be very hard, but have faith. Remember that Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see ~ Hebrews 11:1
- Share your struggles and pain with a trusted confidant. Bringing all the yuck into the light removes some of its power to cast darkness over our hearts. We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. ~ Romans 5: 3-5
- Remember that you are loved deeply. Love yourself and treat yourself with an extra dash of TLC.
You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, and how you can still come out of it.